Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I'm done

So school for me is over for the semester (ok, it has been almost a month, but I still feel like I just finished). I have awesome news, I earned another 4.0 this semester! I am loving my major and I feel that I have learned so much. I do also feel that I am the "old married woman" with all of these young college kids who are not married, or have just recently been married. I am majoring in Marriage and family studies.  I would like to be a counselor someday... oneday... ok, when the kids are gone.

With my Dad passing away, my Mom has been visited by many many people. When she runs into them or goes out with them they are quick to try to make her feel better about her situation. From what I can understand their conversations usually go like this:

Person: I am so sorry Carol, but what a wonderful man you were married to.
Mom: It has been hard, and I miss him
Person: How are you doing?
Mom: I am ok. My daughter (Not me, her favorite: Cathie) is making me do my banking online, and pay off my bills... or some other story about doing something she doesn't want to do.   But how are you?
Person: I am good.
Mom: So how is the family, (starts talking about their children or something)
Person: then starts unloading about all of their problems and what they are going through, and how hard their life is. Some people talk about how they don't like being retired and spending time with their husband, or how wayward their children are, or where their children are living and they don't get along with their spouses... etc.

You see, my mom is really good about not talking about how she is feeling, but getting people to talk about their lives. She is deflecting (don't tell her I said that)

I bet you are wondering why I am telling you this right? Well, it is because my mom called me recently and asked me if I was sure that I wanted to be a counselor. She gets weighed down by what people unload on her, and she internalizes it. It makes her sad and depressed and she doesn't think I can handle it. But I have realized over these past few years of these classes that I really enjoy learning how to solve problems, learning how to parent, to be a spouse, to be a mom and to be happy. I realize that it is going to be a hard job of listening to others' problems but I tell my mom (and myself) that I can't wait to help someone get through their hard times and then see through to the other side. I can't wait to help people be happy and work through their communication issues.

So, this is why I tell you this long story, because even though we can get bogged down with others and their lives, we can find ways to be happy.

I also just found out that I earned a scholarship for next year! How exciting!!!

Ok, back to your lives, find a way to be happy, and if you run into my mom, try to get her to say how she is feeling, but also remember that she is going to get you to tell her things you never thought you would, because she is a really good listener that way! :)